How lovely is she? By request, these two bigger.
How lovely is she? By request, these two bigger.
In the JinkyArt Facebook group for photographers who have attended a JinkyArt workshop in the past, we recently did an assignment. With the huge changes in the industry, there is so much chatter outside the group about how “rock bottom” photography is. And I really keep my blinders (and blinkers) on because its not something that inspires me and honestly, I do prefer to just keep creating and try not to get too involved in all of that.
Lets face it, every industry changes. Every single day and I guess in a way I find change exciting.
But back to the assignment.
Often as creatives who are working creatives, or creatives with busy lives (think children, other jobs, just life) we forget to nurture our creative beings and give ourselves the time and indulgence to flourish. Think of it like we do our bodies, if we are too busy and rushed we eat whatever…and if we keep eating junk we become unhealthy, and as creatives I believe that if we don’t take the time to really care for our creative side, we will too churn out work that is lesser than – and its a vicious cycle. This is less than inspiring!
So just like eating good foods, and taking the time to prepare fine meals (Sorry for the food analogy, I didn’t intend to make you hungry), I think we should take the time to understand what it is that nourishes our creative selves. What should we be filling ourselves with. And over the years, that of course will change. It has changed a lot for me however, I do find myself at nearly ever shoot, taking a photograph that is the me of yesterday – I just cant help it. So the assignment was to take time to go back and ask ourselves what it was that inspired us at the very beginning. Before we worried what “others thought”. Before we were concerned with what technology, idea, tool, fad was “trendy in the industry”. And before any of all that.
I use to shoot both film and digital. I loved B&W film. Who doesn’t?! So, even after I decided to go “more digital” I kept that B&W film feel in mind. And honestly, I think it always has been there. Sure I don’t show B&W’s that much however, if you wouldn’t mind, I’m going to indulge over the next little while, and show you some of my favourite photographs of more recent times that are inspired by the yesterday me. And its more than just being B&W ..its a feeling.
Picture 1 : The inspiration image :
First the inspiration image : This photograph was taken in, I believe 2006. I actually started to really take photographs a lot earlier then that, however this was a turn point photograph for me and one that my mind goes back to a lot.
Picture 2 : Taken in Catalonia Spain late last year in 2014. One of my favourite photographs of the year.
Picture 3 : Taken in Pacifica, CA. Late 2014
“Second to the right, and straight on till morning.”
That, Peter had told Wendy, was the way to the Neverland” – J.M.Barrie, Peter Pan
Picture 4 : His sister. Pacifica CA 2014.
Picture 5 : Bungendore NSW Australia. Taken during a “JinkyBaby” client shoot. An instant fav.
Picture 6 : California.
Last one :
If you want to join in on this assignment, go for it! Go back to the beginning and try and draw from what inspired you in the first place because there was something there that grounded you, and made you the photographer you are today. xoox. P.s Ill keep adding to this post so I hope you come back to visit.
More to come of this shoot later.
Just a quick one for now.
A beautiful girl and her friend who sat up just at the perfect time.
Thank you to Nikki for bringing out your gorgeous rabbit.
Have a wonderful weekend xoox.
Im lucky enough to have met some amazingly talented photographers, designers, stylists, artist, actors, creatives, musicians….. silversmiths, mums, dads…! The list goes on.
Some of them I keep in touch with in a group on facebook for those who have attended a JinkyArt workshop. These folk are mostly photographers, and a small handful of us decided to share each others work a little. So please be sure to click on some of the links below, and check them out.
This photograph was taken in Sydney last year. This lovely mum is also a photographer, Catherine Burford and she has such a beautiful family.
• Alicias – Alicia Staley Johnson – http://www.alicias.com/blog/
• Angee L Photography – Angela Lautenschlager – http://angeelphotography.smugmug.com/Blog
• Aurelie Noyer Photography – Aurelie Noyer – htttp://Aurelienoyer.wordpress.com
• Aynat Designs – Tanya Cremin – http://www.aynatdesigns.com.au
• Belle Images – Angela Skerman – http://belleimages.com.au/blog/
• Belle Meinerz – Bell Meinerz – www.bellemeinerz.com/blog
• Bellini Portraits – Stephanie Edrich Piscitelli – http://www.bellinipics.com/blog
• Deus Photography – Jane Hogan – http://deusphotography.com/blog/
• Dragonfly Portraits – Karen Ashcroft – www.dragonflyportraits.com.au
• Elena K Photography – Elena Kloppenburg – http://www.elenakphotographyblog.com
• Emma Hutchinson Photography – Emma Hutchinson – http://www.emmahutchphotography.com.au
• Essence Images – Jessica Franklin Chia – www.essenceimages.com.au
• Glee and Bliss – Corey Bennett Williams – Www.gleeandblissblog.com
• In Photography – Michelle Pragt – http://www.inphotography.com.au/blog/
• Itty Bitty Love Photography – Kim Patel – http://ittybittylovephotography.com.au/blog
• Jemm Photography – Tamara Messina – www.jemmphotography.com.au
• Jennifer McHam Photography – Jennifer Breaux McHam – http://www.jennifermchamphotography.com/blog/
• Jenny Watts Photography – Jenny Watts – http://www.jennywattsphotography.com
• Jody Ryan Photography – Jody Ryan – http://www.jodyryanphotographyblog.com
• Judy Hohmann – Judy Hohmann – https://judyhohmann.wordpress.com/
• Karen Menyhart Photography – Karen Gardner Menyhart – http://blog.karenmenyhartphotography.com/?p=705
• Kate Lionis Photography – Kate Lionis – http://www.katelionis.com/blog/
• Kate Nagle Photography – Kate Boyle Nagle – http://katenaglephoto.com/
• Katie Tyler Photography – Katie Tyler – http://katietylerphotos.com/wordpress/category/blog/
• Leslie Meadow – Leslie Huckey Sarten – http://lesliemeadow.com/blog-3/
• Light and Shade Photography – Felicity Peterson – http://www.lightandshadephotography.com.au/blog
• Lisa Phillipson Photography – Lisa Washburn Phillipson – http://www.lisaphillipson.com
• Little Cherub Photography – Susan Fong – www.littlecherubphotography.com
• Maria Z Photography – Maria Sze – http://www.mariazphotography.com/blog/
• Maternal Moments Photography – Rachell Marie – http://www.maternalmomentsphotography.com.au
• Michelle Frances Photography – Michelle Frances Deacon – http://michellefrances.co.nz/news-recent-work/
• Michelle Ridland Photography – Michelle Ridland – http://www.michelleridlandphotography.com.au/welcome-to-my-blog
• Morgan Henderson Photography – Morgan Henderson – http://www.morganhendersonphotography.com
• Mrs Smart Photography – Bronwyn Smart – Www.mrssmartphotography.com.au/blog
• My Baby Book – Martyna Ball – http://mybabybook.it/blog/
• Nancy Vaz Photography – Nancy Milkovich Vaz - www.nancyvazphotography.com/blog
• Natasha Haire Photography – Natasha Haire – http://natashairephotography.com/portrait-session-emily/
• Nina Tantzen Photography – Nina Tantzen – http://www.ninatantzen.com/blog
• Orange Moon Photography – Melinda Savageau – http://orangemoonphotography.com/
• Peas & Carrots Photography – Nikki Joyner – http://www.peasandcarrots.com.au/blog/
• Photography by Serendipity – Susan Kempken Heckel – http://serendipityphotostudio.com/blog/
• Pixien Photography – Monika Pixien – http://blog.pixien.com/
• Rebecca Dunstall – Rebecca Dunstall – www.rebeccadunstall.com
• Simply Heaven Photography – Kara Webber – http://simplyheavenphotography.com/blog
• Sugarlight Photography – Gunilla Lindgren – http://www.sugarlightphotography.com/blog.php
• Sugarpuff Photography – Lianne Bacorro – http://www.sugarpuffphoto.com/
• Tales of Light – Ricardo Silva – http://www.ricardosilvafotografia.com/blog-2/
• Three Winks – Jill Tomb – http://www.three-winks.com/blog/?page_id=366
• Tiffany Walensky Photography – Tiffany Walensky – http://newborns.tiffanywalensky.com
• White Salt Photography – Janine Harris – http://www.white-salt.com.au/blog/
• Wildflower Studio – Michelle Conner Dransart – http://www.wildflowerstudiophoto.com/blog/
• Will Chao Photography – Will Chao – http://willchaophotography.com
From a shoot in Sydney, Aust – at a beautiful garden with beautiful girls.
A thank you below.
As this year draws to an end I want to thank each and every
one of you for coming to visit my blog – for following along.
From the Uil family, we wish your family the very very best
for 2015, may it be a year of wonder and happiness.
I want to say, a special thank you this year to the entire JinkyArt team.
It has been a year that I could not have done it without you.
Special thanks to Shelley (who is brilliantly wonderful, I adore you Shel!),
Dawn, Lori, all our wonderful workshop team.
To Bonnie for filling in for me in that time of need xox.
And to all the beautiful people I have had the pleasure of meeting along the way.
Of course, a special thanks to all the wonderful children and families who
shared your lives with me and allowed me to photograph you.
My husband, and children, you are my sunshine. I adore you!
And to my dad, so much love.
See you next year!
Love to all.